Factory Tire Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Factory Tire Pressures

After reading the article about tires being underinflated, I decided to check the pressures on mine even though it went through shop prep and delivery to me now only 14 days ago.

To my horror, the same thing has occurred again that happened to us last year when we took delivery of our first F-150 SCab.

When I checked the tire pressures, the right front was at 39.5 psi cold and the left front at 42.5 psi cold. The left rear was at 38.5 psi cold and the right rear at 37.5 psi cold. On our SCab last year after we took delivery from the same dealership the pressures all the way around were almost a uniform 45 psi.

Now what I don't understand is don't these morons read at these service departments and maybe factories too? I mean it says right on the side of the Goodyear Wrangler that maximum pressure is 35 psi cold.

I'm going to call the salesman we have worked with the last year on both of these truck deals and find out why its delivered with tires grossly overinflated.(front is supposed to be 30 psi and rear 35 psi) Maybe this is the reason so many of those Firestones blew out. Not just underinflation, but overinflation by these dim bulbs.

Anyone else ever check there tire pressures soon after taking delivery and have the same experience?

Old 08-30-2001, 12:08 PM
Cool

I doubt ANY service dept. checks tire press. (although they should) - you are best to get a gauge and check your own, with the same gauge, when tires are cold.
The tag on the drivers side post should tell you recommended pressure.
You can increase this if you want, slightly, but - NEVER excede the pressure ratings on the sidewall of the tire.

Never run lower pressures - this causes heat & failure.

rr

Old 08-30-2001, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Factory Tire Pressures

Originally posted by Thefoyboy
After reading the article about tires being underinflated, I decided to check the pressures on mine even though it went through shop prep and delivery to me now only 14 days ago.

To my horror, the same thing has occurred again that happened to us last year when we took delivery of our first F-150 SCab.
Even when the tire is cold, the outside temperature will change your tires pressure on a regular basis. Every 5 to 10 degrees will add a pound of pressure to your tires. So even if you haven't driven your truck today, if you check it at 9:00 am and it's 70 outside it will show 30 pounds for example. If you checked it again at 3:00 in the afternoon and it's 105 outside it would show 34-35 psi while still being cold in the sense that it hasn't been driven. Either way a few extra pounds of pressure from the factory isn't anything to be 'horrified' about! You can go buy brand new tires from Discount Tire and will find the same discrepency and that's from someone that has an interest in the tires being properly inflated. (I had a guy at an oil-lube tell me all 17 inch tires should be inflated to 60 psi despite it saying on the sidewall the maximum psi was 44!! If i remember correctly, that was about the time I started doing my own oil changes!

Old 08-30-2001, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by roadrunner
I doubt ANY service dept. checks tire press. (although they should) - you are best to get a gauge and check your own, with the same gauge, when tires are cold.
The tag on the drivers side post should tell you recommended pressure.
You can increase this if you want, slightly, but - NEVER excede the pressure ratings on the sidewall of the tire.

Never run lower pressures - this causes heat & failure.

rr
I've got 276/60-R17's that say the maximum cold tire pressure is 44 psi. I've always kept them around 35 psi. Just noticed yesterday on the driver's side door-well Ford recommends 26 and 30 (one is the front, one is the back, don't remember which, but i'd assume to lower one is for the back.) Doesn't this seem a little low?? I went ahead and took the extra air out to get it to where Ford sais it should be, and the difference in the ride is probably more noticeable than any set of shocks I could have ever added, considerable softer, but this still seems a little low to keep it at everyday..... Anyone else keep them this low?

Old 08-30-2001, 06:01 PM
Mine says 26 front, 32 rear. Running the fronts at 26psi makes the ride feel sloppy to me. I run 32 all around.

Old 09-15-2001, 09:44 AM
I run 35 in all tires, despite the door jam tells me 29 front 32 rear. When the pressure is that low the ride is considerably sloppier and the tires skid around every corner. Like what was said earlier, don't go over the max tire pressure or you will blow a tire like the guy who did my oil change. He got side tracked and left the nozzle on too long while i went to pay. We slapped on the spare and it was quite embarrasing for the guy. This happened a few months ago.

Travis

Old 09-15-2001, 09:46 AM
Haha, one more thing, when you blow a tire, it IS LOUD. And actually very very dangerous. I don't reccomed it.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2001, 12:00 PM
On all my "P" (passenger) tires, all vehicals, I run 35psi cold. I like the road feel, handling, and I'm getting good wear. They are checked at least once a month, every two weeks in the winter. During winter I see a 1psi change for every 10 F temperature change.

When I up grade to LT tires, C load rated, 50psi max, I'll run 40psi when running empty, and 50 psi when loaded down.

Quick Reply: Factory Tire Pressures