Weird and uncommon brake problem! A real :think:

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird and uncommon brake problem! A real :think:

To begin, sorry for such a long winded post but I believe the best way to solve a problem is to have all the information. This is a weird problem that I haven't found anything on when searching. I've seen people having problems with their brakes sticking and dragging on the rotors but this is the opposite. They fight against me to brake and touch the rotors.
So I got new tires in August, 275/70/17 if I remember correctly. I have Rancho quicklifts and that's all in the front. When I got them I put the wheels at full lock and saw no rubbing. There was occasionally rubbing when it came to steep angles with a turn but nothing for normal driving.
In all December when I would drive and then go to brake a lot of times the brakes would like fight me like they were stuck and I'd have to stomp on the brake to "free" them and then I could stop normally.
January rolls around and that problem dropped I'd say 95%. However the ABS light would now come on during normal driving. Yesterday got it checked out and it was a faulty front right ABS sensor. Had that replaced and that fixed the light. However when I was driving home after that the "stuck" brake problem resurfaced and was much worse than before. What used to last 2 seconds of fighting turned into 10 seconds. That is a lot of time to brake especially if I need to stop quick and can't. This morning when I got in the brakes seemed to do much better, the soft pedal was gone and worked flawlessly until I turned into work and the brakes started fighting me again. Wasn't as bad because I was already braking when they decided to start resisting. Any ideas on what this could be? I don't know if they disconnected the battery when the replaced the sensor, should I do that to see if that is the problem? Any advice is appreciated and thanks for reading.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by greentitan05
To begin, sorry for such a long winded post but I believe the best way to solve a problem is to have all the information. This is a weird problem that I haven't found anything on when searching. I've seen people having problems with their brakes sticking and dragging on the rotors but this is the opposite. They fight against me to brake and touch the rotors.
So I got new tires in August, 275/70/17 if I remember correctly. I have Rancho quicklifts and that's all in the front. When I got them I put the wheels at full lock and saw no rubbing. There was occasionally rubbing when it came to steep angles with a turn but nothing for normal driving.
In all December when I would drive and then go to brake a lot of times the brakes would like fight me like they were stuck and I'd have to stomp on the brake to "free" them and then I could stop normally.
January rolls around and that problem dropped I'd say 95%. However the ABS light would now come on during normal driving. Yesterday got it checked out and it was a faulty front right ABS sensor. Had that replaced and that fixed the light. However when I was driving home after that the "stuck" brake problem resurfaced and was much worse than before. What used to last 2 seconds of fighting turned into 10 seconds. That is a lot of time to brake especially if I need to stop quick and can't. This morning when I got in the brakes seemed to do much better, the soft pedal was gone and worked flawlessly until I turned into work and the brakes started fighting me again. Wasn't as bad because I was already braking when they decided to start resisting. Any ideas on what this could be? I don't know if they disconnected the battery when the replaced the sensor, should I do that to see if that is the problem? Any advice is appreciated and thanks for reading.
Hey.

Is the pedal 'hard' when this occurs?

You might simply be feeling the effects of 'power' brake loss. Without the power assist, the brakes as MUCH harder to apply.

Check yer booster / vacuum lines. Could also be the master cylinder(?).

good luck
MGD

Old 01-20-2015, 02:29 PM
When I kick it and it breaks "free" the pedal is hard, however when I fight it it feels like it isn't helping at all. Since last may I have replaced, all 4 rotors & pads(May - warped), front left caliper (June - torn piston gasket), master cylinder (August - suspect that was reason for soft brakes) and now abs light (yesterday- faulty sensor). During all of these things the brakes were also bleed. Is there any way to test if it is the brake booster? If so how difficult is it to replace that?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by greentitan05
When I kick it and it breaks "free" the pedal is hard, however when I fight it it feels like it isn't helping at all. Since last may I have replaced, all 4 rotors & pads(May - warped), front left caliper (June - torn piston gasket), master cylinder (August - suspect that was reason for soft brakes) and now abs light (yesterday- faulty sensor). During all of these things the brakes were also bleed. Is there any way to test if it is the brake booster? If so how difficult is it to replace that?
Reckon it cain't be all that difficult t' change...

But - what do I know? I'm jes' the Concierge in this here lobby, engagin' th' customer, 'till an expert happens to wander by ..

good luck
MGD

Old 01-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Well I'm happy to have the company while I'm on this journey of wondering when or if I'll be able to stop when I really need it haha thanks for the help

Edit: Update - Talked to my local shop guy, he says since these are larger tires than stock it could be the abs sensor thinks its near locking sometimes with these tires. He's gonna see if he is able to go into the program to change it in the system. I don't have a programmer but he said I could do it on there as well.

Last edited by greentitan05; 01-20-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Weird and uncommon brake problem! A real :think: