Smoking Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking Brakes

I have a new 2001 Supercrew with 5.4 and Class III towing. Coming down a road in the Sierra's my brakes overheated and, almost, failed at the bottom. I was standing on em and still rolling. When I finally stopped both front wheels smoked as though there was a fire. I let em cool for an hour then drove on with no apparent problem.

My question is -- could there be permanent damage as a result of this overheating? At the time, the truck hand only 900 miles on it. It now has 2500 with no symtoms. Any opinions (other than don't ride the brakes coming down mountain roads)?

Old 09-08-2001, 01:16 PM
well most likely you have warped the rotors.

First dont ride the brakes. Apply, let off, apply, let off. That is 90% of the problem there.

Second, upgrade the pads to a higher temperature compound if you are going to be driving these same conditions more. Also put new DOT4 brake fluild in, not the factory Dot3.

Old 09-08-2001, 01:34 PM
you may also want to take it back to the dealer, because there is a TSB to replace the brakes on the trucks. They have done it twice under warranty for me

Old 09-10-2001, 08:32 AM
Rather than ride the brakes coming down the mountain, put the tranny in a lower gear. This will use the natural engine.
Jim

Quick Reply: Smoking Brakes