Having Problem replacing front brake pads on Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2001, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having Problem replacing front brake pads on Expedition

I tried today and did the rear brakes without a problem, but when I got to the front I got stuck. The front has 2 T45 bolts holding the calipers on in some sort of craddle. Once I take the 2 bolts out, I can't seem to figure out how to get the calipers out of the caddle the caliper is housed in. My Expediton is a 98 2wd. Thanks in advance,
JMan

Old 09-16-2001, 01:08 PM
you take out the two bolts, then the brake caliper pulls off of it, then you can remove that, it should just pull out. That's how the ones on my 2000 F150 4x4 work, i have a feeling it's probablly the same setup.

Old 09-16-2001, 02:56 PM
This thing has 2 calipers on each wheel, I have looked at this thing a hundred times and I can't see how to get the calipers out of the housing it is in. The pads themself have notches in them that fit into this housing. There are some clips that the notches in the pads fit into, but don't want to bend the clips to remove the pads. This is a tough one for me. I have replaced many brakes, but can't seem to figure this one out. I guess I'll go get the haynes book.
Thanks,
JMan

Old 09-16-2001, 03:02 PM
i know with mine, you take out the bolts, and then pull it off...

you may want to get the manual. i assumed it would be the same as mine... guess not. because on mine, you only have to pull the claiper out (which is a dual piston caliper)

Old 09-16-2001, 05:52 PM
Tubaman,
Mine also is a dual piston, so we must have the same. Once I remove the bolts, which way do you pull to get the caliper out. When you say caliper is that all that should come out, or are the pads attached to the caliper as they are in the rear, if you you can understand what I mean. Also are the bolts that you have to remove T45 bolts?
Thanks,
JMan

Old 09-16-2001, 05:54 PM
My rear brakes had 9/16 bolts but the front are T45 holding on the calipers.

Old 09-17-2001, 10:34 AM
it should just pull straight out. When the dealer had mine apart, that's how they came. Just make sure the little thing where the caliper 'floats' is clean when u put it in.

You may want to use a shop manual, because there are little clips, and they have to go in a certian way.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2001, 03:34 PM
Thanks Tubaman,
I got it figured out and have completed the changing of the brake pads. I was not compressing the pistons enough and the caliper was stuck to the brake pad. Once the piston was compressed enought the caliper let go and I was able to complete the changing of the pads. Thanks again,
JMan

Old 09-17-2001, 04:02 PM
A guy in another forum said that I should bleed the brakes. Is this necessairy after changing the pads.
Thanks,
JMan

Quick Reply: Having Problem replacing front brake pads on Expedition