Brake light issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake light issues

I have a 2006 F150 that the brake light keeps coming on and off. I'd say its on about 75% of the time now. All the pads have been replaced, changed out the overhead brake light bulb, changed the master cylinder sensor, and I've disconnected and reconnected all the wire connections I could find. The best I've been able to do is get it to turn off for about 24 hours and it pops back on. I was told yesterday that it could be a bubble in the line or old dark brake fluid giving the sensor a false reading. I figure for about 10 bucks doing a flush would be worth a try. Everything I can find shows lifting the entire vehicle and removing all 4 wheels. Would there be an issue lifting one side at a time or even leaving it on the ground as long as I can get to the bleeder valve?

Any other ideas of what the issue might be that is causing the warning light to keep coming on?

I am pretty new to doing my own mechanic work so please excuse any dumb questions. I am pretty mechanically inclined and I would have been doing this a lot earlier if I knew how easy most of it is.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Could be the parking brake switch, that also can turn on the light.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:23 PM
I agree with glc, could be the switch on the parking brake.
As for having to lift the vehicle, no you can bleed them all w/o lifting it if you can reach them. Be fore warned that they're easy to break if you get too rough with them. I've found if there's room for a ratchet and a SIX POINT socket you're less likely to snap one off using that to get them loosened, then using a wrench for bleeding.
Gene

Side note, use brake line wrenches or 6-point sockets to prevent stripping the fittings. They are easy to strip because they're generally soft metal

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 06-09-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:00 PM
there are no sensors that would detect "old dark fluid".

and it is doubtful even that your ESP system could detect a bad bleed. (newer systems can)

Have you had someone check the codes?

Most likely cause is either a bad FLI (Fluid Level Indicator) switch on the reservoir, or the parking brake pedal being slightly depressed.

Quick Reply: Brake light issues