How the @$!*# do you get the parking brakes adjusted right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How the @$!*# do you get the parking brakes adjusted right?

02 F150-7700.

I just did a complete brake job. The previous owner let the rear pads wear off and gouged the rotors, and the fronts were pulsing badly. The parking brake was also very ineffective. So here is what I did:

Front rotors and pads
Rear rotors, pads, parking brake shoes (the old ones had no friction material) and hardware.

I also removed the actuator for the parking brake (the lever that the cable attaches to) and disassembled, cleaned with a wire wheel, lubed with brake grease, and reassembled.

No matter what I do, the parking brake will not work well. I have adjusted them so many times. Right now they are adjusted too tight and on damp days I can hear them whining/dragging when I first start out, and they still won't hold the truck even if I jam the pedal down as hard as I can.

What am I missing?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know if it is the correct way, but.......I push the pedal down about 3 or 4 clicks then tighten them until they just start to drag/catch. Then release the P-brake pedal to see if the rotate freely. It works for me, but I don't use the P-brake that often.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried that. They're actually a little tight because they drag a little when released. I wouldn't worry about it if my driveway weren't so steep.

Quick Reply: How the @$!*# do you get the parking brakes adjusted right?