Anyone have trouble with Goodyear ATS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Anyone have trouble with Goodyear ATS?

Ok, I've replaced the stock rts with goodyear ats. Got em' on sale at sears (ok, my first mistake). I have gone through 8 tires in 4 weeks. First tire was visibly out of round. Replacement had bad whitewall. Next, two tires were so bad, they couldnt be balanced, and were replaced. The current four (only 1 tire is from original install) tires still cause a noticable vibration at 40+ mph. I have heard good and bad stories about these tires. They do very well in the rain, where the rt/s lacked. Has anyone else had any trouble and what was your resolution? Mine is, sears is gonna take them back, and I'll have to settle for some Les Shwab tires that dont look near as mean/meaty....

Old 11-06-2001, 07:34 PM
I have had mine for about 5,000 miles and still look great. Never had a single problem out of them and I agree, they look and handle much better than the original RT/S tires. If you're interested, I am selling mine along with the 17" rims only because I am upgrading to 36" tires, hehe. Email me at buckster@f150owner.com if you have any questions.

Old 11-07-2001, 08:54 AM
Thumbs down

They were OEM on my truck. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Old 11-07-2001, 01:40 PM
I'm getting rid of my Goodyear RT/S in favor of a set of Wild Country TXR from Les Schwab - these tires have a very agressive look, good load rating, and match the size of the original tires.

I also looked at Goodrich All Terrain T/A, but the best price I can find is $800 mounted and balanced (not including siping or a road hazard warranty) - ouch!!

Steve

Old 11-09-2001, 10:17 AM
I have 27k on the original ATS's. They look like could last another 30K miles. A lot of people think they need 50psi in them and then never rotate either. You gots to rotate them puppies every 5k miles or they will cup and keep the psi down to 35... I know it makes your truck taller to have the tubes inflated like balloons, but it decreases the life expentancy by half.....no matter what type of rubber you have on!

Old 11-09-2001, 10:30 AM
Thumbs up Wrangler AT\s

I love My Goodyear Wrangler AT\S I had a pair on the truck when I bought it and then I just bought 4 new LT 265 70 R17's A week ago and paid $175 a tire.... Alittle High but I love these tires!!!
Great snow and Great in the Rain and Really pretty above average off-road (Compared to RT\S and other Comparable Tires)

Old 11-09-2001, 11:05 AM
Only problem i have with these tires, is getting them to wear out! I have 78k kms on mine, somewhere in the high 30's in miles. I run them about 36psi, and rotate about every 10k kms. Right now they have about 9/32nds of tread left, and are still pulling me through lots of mud and snow. Only balancing they have had was from the factory, as they are oem tires, and they feel fine when on the hiway.

Bambino

Old 11-11-2001, 07:54 PM
Goodyear AT

I put on a set of Firestone Steeltex on my other truck and they lasted a sorry 17,000 miles. Will never do that again. The Goodyears I bought for my 1st truck got about 65,000 before I needed to think about replacing them (I do some off road with them). I tried some Kelly Sufari SUV before trading it in. they only had about 40,000 miles on them and they only ran me about $300.00 for the whole deal (mounting, balancing, etc...) The only reason I tried them was that I was told that kelly was made by Goodyear and I figured for $300.00 it was worth it. Semmed like pretty good tires.

I love Goodyear products. PERIOD!!

HuskerMac

Old 11-12-2001, 12:14 PM
The only problem I had was scalloped edges giving me a bad ride. Also my friend has a set on his F150. He had a problem with scalloping edges so we rotated to the back & the problem went away. I did the same in my Expedition & will not rotate again until they are gone. I will go with another tire next time.

Old 11-15-2001, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by sponz
I'm getting rid of my Goodyear RT/S in favor of a set of Wild Country TXR from Les Schwab - these tires have a very agressive look, good load rating, and match the size of the original tires.

I also looked at Goodrich All Terrain T/A, but the best price I can find is $800 mounted and balanced (not including siping or a road hazard warranty) - ouch!!

Steve
I wouldn't run the TXR's. I had them on my '91 and they sucked (IMHO). They rode harsh, wandered a lot, and were completely worthless in the snow. I put the BFG All-Terrain KO's on it and it was like buying a new truck..I'm runnin BFG's only on my rigs from now on...
Just my $.02
- Nealio

Old 11-16-2001, 11:54 PM
Thanks

Nealio -

Thanks for the info on the TXRs. I talked with someone else earlier in the week that said they have problems with the tires when pulling a heavy load (which I do occasionally). He also recommended the BFG All Terrain tires. I guess I'll spend the extra and get the BFGs.

Did you have your tires siped? Most people here in Spokane seem to get their tires siped unless they're studded.

Thanks again for the info.

Steve

Old 11-18-2001, 01:51 AM
Hey Sponz-

I am in Spokane also, and had the same dilema with tires. I was going to get the BFG's but instead went with Les Schwab Open Country AT. The Open Countrys are great. They ride smooth and have been great on the limited snow and rain I've driven in so far. They had a 30 day return and 50000 mile warranty. I liked them so much I took them off my truck I traded in today and had the dealer put them on my brand new expedition.

Old 11-18-2001, 09:36 AM
Hey Shark99,

I bought a left over '01 KR Screw and it was equipped with RT/Ss and it rode like crap. I traded in a perfect condition '00 4x4 Scab with factory installed, of which I ordered, AT/Ss and I never had a single complaint and it had 19,000 miles on them when I traded. I also had a '99 4x4 Scab in it too had the AT/Ss and I loved the ride on those tires too. Too bad a 19 year old punk had to run a red light 'cause I did over 7K worth of damage along with a frame replacement. I traded that sucker in while it was being repaired and ordered the '00 4x4 just mentioned.

Is there anyone out there who ordered their truck with LT265/70R17 AT/Ss from the factory? If so, can you tell me what the factory tire pressure recommendations are on the data plate in the drivers side door jamb? I now have the AT/Ss but my pressure recommendations are for RT/Ss. I didn't recall what my '00 Scab data plate stated so I've had to guess on the pressure to run with. BTW, the dealer set all my tire pressures to 50 psi 'cause that's the only info on the side of the tire and it states that it's the max pressure, not the normal everyday setting. I know it depends on what you are doing, hauling, 4 wheeling in sand or mud, or just cruisin', I'm talking the normal pressure recommended for highway use.

I upgraded my Screw tires from RT/Ss to AT/Ss and paid the dealer to do it. They charged me $55 per wheel to upgrade and it took them almost two weeks to get the rubber in stock. While doing the exchange, they were unable to get two of the tires balanced so then they put two of the RT/Ss back on the rear and I drove like that for almost another two weeks, I was pissed.

In the end, they are all on there and are great. I would never trade my AT/Ss for RT/Ss but as far as other brands or models, I have no knowledge.

I did have some Michelin LTXs on my '97 Silverado and they rode like a dream. After tradin' in those Uniroyal Tiger Paws, it was like gettin' a new truck for sure. Tires are like shoes, one pair can make your feet hurt like hell and another pair can make them feel like you don't even notice you are wearin' them. I think tires to our trucks are a similar comparison.

I apologize for the long post but I needed to get it all out. The pic in my sig is when it was still equipped with the RT/Ss. Newer pics coming soon. Actually, I've got newer ones in my gallery, I just need to swap pointers to one of the other pics.

DaveMan

Old 11-19-2001, 09:59 PM
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by sponz
Nealio -

Thanks for the info on the TXRs. I talked with someone else earlier in the week that said they have problems with the tires when pulling a heavy load (which I do occasionally). He also recommended the BFG All Terrain tires. I guess I'll spend the extra and get the BFGs.

Did you have your tires siped? Most people here in Spokane seem to get their tires siped unless they're studded.
Yeah, I got mine at Discount tire and they have a ciping machine there. They ciped em up for me. I think they will treat you good.
- Nealio

Old 11-20-2001, 08:26 PM
Hey KTMNealio,

I'm not trying to bust your chops but I'm pretty sure it's called siped and not ciped. It doesn't bother me one way or the other 'cause I know what you mean. However, I work with siped tires alot and so I wanted to share that.

Good luck and don't take offense and if I'm wrong then let me know too.

DaveMan

Quick Reply: Anyone have trouble with Goodyear ATS?