Parking Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Parking Brake Problem

Hi All,

Here is a strange one for you. The last two or three times when I released my parking brake my Expi did not want to move, I had to give it gas pedal to move. Last night when backing out of my driveway, I heard a loud clunk from the rear end and now my Expi will not back up. It will move forward though with a lot of brake drag. It appears that the drivers side parking brake is hard against the inside drum of the rotor and will not release. I unhooked the parking brake cable thinking it was binding but the lever through the backing plate is all the way released.

I took the caliper off but I cannot remove the rotor because the parking brake is jammed on and I can't turn the brake adjuster out. Any ideas how to get the rotor off without damaging it?

Best Regards

Michael

Old 11-30-2001, 03:38 PM
Take a look at the backing plate you should see what looks like a small nail going into the backing plate. These are the brake pins that the hold down springs attach to and hold the shoes in place. You need to find a way to cut or grind the heads off those pins. At the dealership we shear them off with an air chisel. When you get the heads cut off, the shoes will collapse and you will be able to get the rotor off. Then it is just a matter replacing the pins (really cheap) and whatever caused the problem in the first place, which could be a broken spring or clip, or caused by lack of lubrication.

-Jon

Old 12-05-2001, 02:10 PM
Okay, heres what happened.

The drivers side parking brake cable was kinked and seized where it is attatched to the backing plate, and it would not fully release. Whenever this happened it would cause the brake to adjust tighter when I reversed. It adjusted so tight it would not let me reverse and the brake dragged in forward.

I cut the brake anchor pins off with end nippers and then I was able to back out the adjuster and get the rotor off and take off the parking brake hardware.

I put the rotor, caliper and wheel back on and took it to the dealer who replaced the cable and the brake shoes under warranty.

They told me it is a fairly common problem and the new cable is a different design to address this problem.

Michael

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Problem