Brakes/Tires/Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brakes/Tires/Wheels

I own a 1999 Ford F150 4x4. It has four-wheel ABS disc-brakes, and recently a noise has begun when the brakes are applied. The noise started shortly before, or shortly after having the pads and rotors replaced. After the pads and rotors were replaced, I got new Goodyear AT tires and wheels put on, which caused the noise to intensify. This noise occurs when braking at both fast and slow speeds, but is more noticeable at low speeds. The noise sounds like a whom, whom, whom that slows down as the truck slows down. A corresponding pressure on the brake pedal can be felt along with the noise, and sometimes you can even feel the truck speed up and slow down, even with even pressure on the brakes. Also, there is a slight vibration in the steering wheel at speeds in excess of 50 mph.

The person that put the brakes on told me that it was caused because the tires or wheels are out of round, and that i needed to have this fixed before he could work on the brakes. The dealer who sold the tires said that it was obviously a brake problem, and that he would not change the tires. He also said that it is not a safety issue, but it sure is a big annoyance.

Can anyone give me any insight into this problem?

Old 12-02-2001, 03:17 AM
This doesn't sound too complicated yet. The whom, whom, whom sound, to me is the sound of a tire that is not only out of balance but is mounted unevenly on the rim. If it's mounted unevenly it will have a similar affect on the feel of your truck as that of an out of round rim.

If you just got new tires, go back and have them re-balanced and re-mounted. Don't tell them anything about the possibility of a rim being out of round or they may jump on that. If they were fine before the brake job then it's either the brakes or the tires.

It may be a warped rotor but since it's new it could also be that the bolts were not properly tightened when it was mounted. There is a proper torque sequence that must be followed when mounting the tires. If it's performed carelessly you can have all sorts of problems, including crushed bearings and broken seals.

It's kind of critical that you know whether the symptoms began before or after the brake and tire work though.

I can't stand to have anyone work on my truck because they most certainly are not so concerned as I am about it. What gets to me the most is that filing a case in small claims court is the only way to get your money back if they tell you to go **** yourself after they break something and there is always that potential.

Don't worry..... I just don't trust anyone with my truck

Old 12-02-2001, 10:47 AM
A tire problem would occur any time the vehicle is moving, not just when the brakes are applied. In my opinion it is a brake problem. The rotors could be warped. And that could have happened if they over tightened the lgnuts when they put the tires on, or it could have happened with the brake job. Another possibility is that when they did the brakes they didn't clean the rotors and some grease or oil got on the pads which can cause the brakes to grab. I would take it back to the place that did the brakes. If worse comes to worse make them put a dial indicator on the rotor and check it for runout. If it is warped and they won't pay for it have them call the tire place and fight over who will warrenty it.

-Jon

Old 12-02-2001, 01:29 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the insight, guys. I am about 95% sure that the sound began before anything was done on the truck.

I have also noticed now that there is a clinking noise when you push down on the front bumper, coming from somewhere in the front IFS, it seems. Could this be tie rods or ball joints, would they cayse these kinds of symptoms?

Thanks again

Old 12-03-2001, 06:57 PM
Loose tierods could cause a brake pull. Maybe a pulsation as well but it would be felt in the steering wheel not the brake pedal. If you feel it in the pedal it is defintely a rotor problem. The rotor wobbling back and forth pushes the piston back in sending fluid back to the master cylinder which pushes the pedal back against your foot.

-Jon