front brakes locking up

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front brakes locking up

I have a 97 f150 6cyd manual transmission approx 55K miles.

Earlier this summer the RIGHT front brake locked up on me.

Limped into the nearest local shop, took a look at the pads, rotors and calipers on both sides. Besides one of the pads being cracked slightly everything appeared fine. I had them replace the pads on both sides and drove away.

Everything was fine for about 2 months.

Then the LEFT side locked up. This time I took it to the dealership thinking they would be aware of this problem. They took her appart and found nothing wrong, charged me $0 and I was on my way.

No problems until last night.

BOTH front brakes are locking up, not a lot, just enough to make the truck shake and shimmy. This is not good.

I'm going to take it back to the dealership, but I want to make sure they do their job right this time.

The advice I have gotten so far tells me to have them check the proportioning valve or the check valve in the master cylinder.

Is there anything else I need to have them look at, besides the service manual?

Thanks in advance for the help, hopefully someone has seen this before and will know what to do.

Happy Holidays

Old 12-07-2001, 08:42 AM
kev
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you sure the problem is hydraulics? Just a thought, my front brakes locked up on my 99 due to the slider bolts that hold on the caliper seizing. They locked up pretty good, took a 3 foot pipe wrench and a ton of liquid wrench to free them up. I installed disc brake greese to them and now everything is fine.

Just a suggestion to look at before you take it to the dealer.

kev

Quick Reply: front brakes locking up