Parking brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parking brake adjustment

Hello,

The parking brake on my 2002 XLT was feeling a little weaker than it should, so I called to schedule an adjustment. I'm thinking it should be a quick ratchet type adjustment, right? At least that's what it always was on my previous cars. But my cars were all rear drum brakes, and I think my truck has disc brakes all around. Can someone here shed some light on this parking brake adjustment? Many thanks.

Matador

Old 12-12-2001, 09:30 PM
OLAY! OLAY! sorry, couldn't resist making fun of your nick

I don't mean to sound rude, but if you really don't know if you have 4 wheel discs or not, then I wouldn't go messing around with the parking brake with any "quick ratchet type adjustments" if I were you.

Old 12-23-2001, 08:12 PM
if you have 4 wheel disc. your parking brake on the rear are really shoe's they are a small set on the inside of the rotor. and there is a rubber plug at the bottom of the backing plate just like on any older rig. with a adjuster in side. they do not self adjust. but you can adjust them. just looking at the rotor, your going to think i'm high. but there are a small set of brake shoe's behind there.

Old 12-24-2001, 01:51 AM
wino is correct. The rear disc on the 99+ trucks has the center hub a drum Ebrake setup. Adjust just like the old 60s drums for the ebrake.

Quick Reply: Parking brake adjustment