Long Burnout...ABC went ape sh*t!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Burnout...ABS went ape sh*t!!

Hey everyone,

Well tonigt Frankie (my Blk. 99', 5.4 Lariat) turned 100,000
miles...and so for this celebration I decided to go out to the Texas Motor Speedway parking lot. I went out with a few friends and we sped around the outer road which is about 5.2 miles.
Then we stopped and got out the video camera, and I lined up with a friend in his SS Camaro and we went to smokin our tires, after 30 seconds or so he stopped and pulled away, I kept on cookin those cheap General's then I let of the brake a little and did 2 donuts real slow and left lots of rubber...It was damn fun, I have not done that in a while.
Well the problem started after the burnout, my ABS light came on, I figured maybe just turn it off and let it sit a few minutes would do the trick, I started her back up and drove around and I put medium pressure on the brakes and all of the sudden the back wheels lock up!! Smoke pouring off of the tires....damn What did I break.... the rear is drum, and it is a 99'...after 5 miles of driving the ABS light went off and I EASED on the brakes and It was working normal...Does anyone know what the hell My burnout did to the ABS so that minimal pedal pressure would lock up the rear....I have a few theorys of my own, but I want others Ideas..
.............. And also I have not had any problems with my Ford other then a Coil Cap going out because my heater line was leaking in the plug hole....and here is a tip for new F150 owners..... Use Motorcraft 5w-30, anything thicker cant flow through the oil holes in the little parts, ie rocker arms and pushrods..... Long Live your ford..

5.4Lariat

Last edited by 5.4lariat; 01-07-2002 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:32 AM
It could be a couple of things. One of my friends chevys they brake light was on because the brake shoes were completely gone. But also, once I was in some mud & applied full pressure to my brakes & the abs light came on. As soon as I turned the truck off & started it again it went away. I guess it just lets you know when its locking up. This could be the case, or maybe you just got the rear brakes a little to hot burning out. Ecspecially if you were powerbraking.

Old 01-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Talking

I was thinking the same about the heating up of the pads, since they are not disc they dont cool as well, but then again I dont know if there is a sensor in the drums, I know that there is one in the pumpkin, that sensor tells the computer how fast the rear is spinning compared to the front......damn computer controlled vehicles, lol... where is carb out!!!! Thanks for your input 97

Old 01-08-2002, 08:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-08-2002, 11:50 PM
5.4lariat,

I ran my 97 on a dyno and the same thing happened, the person doing the test told me it would happen and not to worry. It has something to do with the rear wheels spinning at high speed and the front not which causes the light to come on. He said to drive it down the road and the light would go off and it did. I wouldn't worry about it. Although I don't understand the rear brakes locking up.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:52 AM
Lightbulb just dont know...

Nice smokin Neal, and thanks for the fact about that Sheen, and I am still wondering about the rears locking up, I just dont know....I also thought that ABS junction box under the hood went brain dead for a few and whenever I would tap the brakes the ABS would pulse the rear tires, I have yet to figure this one out...lol

Thanks ya'll,

Old 01-11-2002, 10:31 AM
i doubt you broke anything. sounds like Sheen answered the abs light problem.

as for the brakes locking, you probably burned the crap out of your rear shoes and caused the drum to get really hot. POSSIBLY all of the hot brake dust caused the drums to lock up. kinda like on most rangers... when the drums were a little wet the rears would lock up from the slightest touch of the brakes. ya, i know yours weren't wet, but i'm reasonably certain it was something similar.

you better checl those rear shoes sometime soon just to be safe.

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2002, 03:42 PM
Thumbs up white Elephant....

I did check the rear shoes and the pads are ok but there was a hell of alot of brake dust, so I blew the shoes and the drums out, also I readjusted the shoes, there was some slack in the shoes, maybe too much and when they got hot the locked up, it is the only thing that sounds possible...thanks White Elephant....

Old 01-11-2002, 03:52 PM
wow! guess i'm not as dumb as i look... or i thought... er somethin'.

glad i could help. did you have any problems getting your drums off? i think mine may be frozen to the hub. how can i get them off?

Old 01-12-2002, 12:58 AM
White Elephant,

Take a small propane torch and run the flame around the center of the drum where touches the axle. DON'T GET IT TOO HOT, just hot enough to expand the metal, you will hear it pop when it breaks the rust. I have done this several times on different vehicles and never had a problem with any warping of the drum or anything else. Hope this helps.

Sheen

Quick Reply: Long Burnout...ABC went ape sh*t!!