Dealer says Ford only covers 12months/12K miles now

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dealer says Ford only covers 12months/12K miles now

Just got back from taking my truck to the dealer because the brakes are pulsing from warped rotors. My truck is a 2000 with 25000 miles on it. I was told that Ford now only honors a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on warped rotors. Does this sound right or should I be on the horn to Ford Customer Service? I was under the impression that I had a 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on my truck.

Bob

Old 01-14-2002, 07:22 PM
I'd be raising some hell! Doesn't bumper to bumper mean anything? Geez, Big Blue had better get their sh_t together or they'll see market share bleed off faster than it has already.

This really gets me going. Dealers, customer service reps, regional reps and the suites making the decisions...they all look for a way to give the shaft to the poor schmucks that fork over their heard earned $$ for the honor of driving one of their vehicles.

Even if they really do only honor 12K miles on rotors NOW, they can't change your warranty from the 2000 model year. They can only start it with a new model year. Go through every document in your little blue folder that holds the owner's manual for info regarding warranty and brakes/rotors.

GIVE EM' HELL and don't take it lying down. Care to post the name of the dealer that told you this?

Natty

Old 01-14-2002, 07:38 PM
The dealer is Classic Ford in Mentor, Ohio. They've been cool with me since I bought the truck but then again, this is only the third time I took it back. The last time was for my new radiator last week. I'll be looking through my book and studying hard. I don't have a problem with replacing my rotors myself, I just don't think that it should be my problem with only 25000 miles. My dad had the same thing happen with his Lincoln inside the 36000 mile mark and he got new rotors and pads. Must be a Lincoln thing.

Bob

Old 01-14-2002, 07:43 PM
The have to replace them untill your bumper to bumper warranty is out. They cannot refuse it if you didnt cause it. Take it back and make them do what they are required to do, that is replace those warped rotors. Mine goes in quite often for warped rotors feels like Im on a wash board when I hit the brakes at times when they get bad.

Old 01-14-2002, 07:49 PM
The Same Boat

I am bringing my baby in on Weds. for my new radiator. I also just got warped rotors at 23000 miles. I will let you know what they say. Anybody know if there are TSB's on this?

Old 01-14-2002, 09:16 PM
Right now, there is no TSB for warped rotors because they have not received that many calls about this problem. Called Ford Customer Service @ 1-800-392-3673. Let them know your problem. I think that if enough people call, they may do something.

I think that this problem only occurs in trucks with front wheel disc brakes and rear drums.

Does anyone have this problem with four wheel disc brake?

Old 01-14-2002, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to be the one to tell you but your dealer is correct. 12 months/12,000 miles on brakes and alignment. You can see what they say. Some dealers will do it if it looks like the truck has not been used and abused.

Old 01-14-2002, 09:36 PM
Read the warranty. Sorry to say that's pretty standard. I went through issues with my Jeep GC over it. I started the issue while in warranty so they ended up not only resurfacing, out of warranty the "continued claim" replaced them finally.

Anyhow, 12/12000 is normal for brakes. Think about it, I wouldn't warrant them for most drivers. Waaayyy to many variables.

Old 01-15-2002, 09:51 AM
re: cold hard truth

Originally posted by Frank S
I hate to be the one to tell you but your dealer is correct. 12 months/12,000 miles on brakes and alignment. You can see what they say. Some dealers will do it if it looks like the truck has not been used and abused.
If that is the case, then "Bumper To Bumper" is nothing more than slick advertising at best, and a total scam at worst. I guess ignorance is bliss because I, like many people, take things at face value and like to believe I'm getting a square deal. When the warranty says bumper to bumper for 36,000 miles, I take that literally. If I went to the dealer at 14 months with 20K miles and warped rotors, I would be infuriated if I were turned away.

Please pardon my rant, I just hate getting scr_wed or seeing it happen to others.

Natty

Old 01-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is that getting screwed? Brakes are listed as a "wearable item". I've had bad rotors before on a new vehicle and they always shake well before the basic warranty of 12/12. The way some people use their brakes I really gotta stand with the manufacturers on this one. Not that rthota abused his. Ignorance isn't bliss.

Old 01-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Thinking out loud, I guess they could get you for the brake pads, since they are a "wearable" item.....unless somehow you can convice them that it was most likey due to a manufacturing defect [maybe you have a history with the dealer, and they know how many times you've brought it in for pads, etc......hey, you can try]. I don't know how you can classify rotors as "wearable" items, at least under a 3/36 bumper-to-bumper, but that's just me. However, you have done some mods (lift, tires, etc.), so they could claim that these contributed to pre-mature wearing of the pads and rotors, blah, blah..... If you press it, I guess you might get the district rep involved, and perhaps a "good-will" write-off in the service department.

Good luck
ernie

Old 01-15-2002, 02:25 PM
The dealer was wrong to tell you that the rotors aren't covered after 12mo/12k mi - the pads aren't covered after this time. If you look in your warranty manual, brake linings/pads, tire balance, wheel alignment, and windshield wipers aren't covered after the first year.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Frank S
How is that getting screwed? Brakes are listed as a "wearable item". I've had bad rotors before on a new vehicle and they always shake well before the basic warranty of 12/12. The way some people use their brakes I really gotta stand with the manufacturers on this one. Not that rthota abused his. Ignorance isn't bliss.
I don't agree rotors are a wearable item. Sure, pads, shoes, alignments, all wearable and "maintenance" items. But rotors? I don't think I ever had to replace a rotor on a car until my wifes Topaz, and that was at about 80,000 miles. That included some fairly hot 60s and 70s muscle cars driven by a crazed teenager .

I don't care how crazy someone drives...it could be Speed Racer (giving away my age) for God sake, rotors should last more than 12,000 miles. There is no reason why they can't and shouldn't be covered under the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper. Or is that a "virtual" warranty.

Natty

Old 01-15-2002, 09:21 PM
My dealer says 24K

My trucks in now and mentioned that Ford would cover rotors to 24,000 miles? Maybe just a different story. I do have 4-whell disk and a warped rotor or two

Old 01-16-2002, 11:25 PM
12\12000?

If that is true and they don't expect the the discs on a new truck to last more than 12 months and\or 12000 miles, Ford better stop buying that cheap recycled Japanse metal and start giving us what we paid for! And cut the circle jerk runaround everytime we want warranty servcie done to our trucks. Evertime time i walk into a ford service department it's the same crap we don't cover this and we don't cover that, What do you mean you want us to repair something for free, It's not like we stand behind our product. The attitude taken by most dealers is ******* you we already have your money. thats my .02 cents though

Quick Reply: Dealer says Ford only covers 12months/12K miles now