Help me decide, BFG AT or Pro Comp AT...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me decide, BFG AT or Pro Comp AT...

Alright, it's down to these two tires, and I have no experience with either. I rarely ever see off-road conditions, but it'd be nice to have a good grip should the occasion ever arise. I'm most concerned with over-all handling and performance in dry, wet, and icy / snowy conditions, as well as getting the most mileage possible. 50K would be nice.

I don't care how loud they may be on the highway, etc....the louder, the better in fact. Between the stereo and exhaust, I don't think it's an issue. I love the way the BFG's treads are so much wider than most. I think in most cases, their tread width is almost an inch larger than other companies in the same size. I hear the BFG's are more prone to hydroplaning though.

The BFG AT is only available in a 285/70R17, while I can get the Pro Comp AT in a 33x12.50R17. Does anyone know the EXACT differnce in dimensions between these specific tires?

Keeping all this in mind, what do you think my best bet would be?

I went and checked out a 285/70R16 and a 33x12.50R16 yesterday, both in a BFG AT, and the 33 seemed a LOT wider than the puny 285 did. Thanks!!!

-AR

Old 09-20-2002, 04:40 PM
Just put Procomp AT's on my truck last week and I absolutely love them. Plus, they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the BFG's. I paid $165 each for 315/75/16's, whereas the BFG's in that same size would have run me over $200 each. I saved about $200 total...

Old 09-20-2002, 04:55 PM
I've got 275/60R17 BFG Radial Long Trail TA's on my 2000 Lariat Supercab and am very happy with them. They came as original equipment on the truck, and now have over 40,000 miles and still over half the tread left. Have not had any problems (except when my foot gets a bit heavy) when the roads are wet or icy (yup, on occassion, it does get that cold here in Memphis). They are a bit noisy, but get good ride, even though I do keep front and rear tire pressure at 35 psi.

Old 09-20-2002, 10:19 PM
I have had 35x12.50x16.5 BFG AT's on my truck since I think Apr. of '00 and 50,000 miles later(more on road than off) they just hit the tread bars.

I am a BIG fan of BFG tires. Had the MT's on my old 90 model (more off road than on)

IMO get the BFG's!!

I am ordering 33x12.50x16.5 MT KM's in a few weeks
Hopefully get back to the MORE OFFROAD THAN ON thing too!

One other note.......I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for"

So I would suggest the BFG's

Old 09-22-2002, 07:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another vote for BFG's. Sorry, I'm partial. They have proven themselves to me time and time again. I also gotta agree with sugarman on one thing...There's alot of things in life and for cars where you can find bargains, better deals, get by with less, or make due, but when it comes to tires...You get what you pay for. I've bought what seemed to be "a better deal" on tires and I always end up back with a good BFG product. There on my truck and on my race car and there's no room for error on neither one.

Old 09-22-2002, 07:53 PM
Another vote for the BFG's I too have the 275/60R17 BFG Radial Long Trail TA's that came on my 01 Sport. I love them. I live in New Hampshire last year was a decent winter with snow and ice and they rode and handled very well, no problem at all. I didn't really need any sand bags in the back of the truck for better traction. I use to have to do that with my 97 that had the Firestone (what ever they were) that completely sucked. With the Firestones I noticed a big difference in snow and ice with or without sand bags in the back. With the BFG's I really couldnt tell much of a difference at all either way.

In my opinion they don't really have any road noise to speak of. They ride great in dry, wet, snow or ice. I think it's an excellent and I would agree with Galaxy as far as any safety is concerned that goes for tires, brake pads, etc. Don't go with what is cheap or on sale unless its is equal to or better then what your going to buy. It will only take one time, the wrong time and any money saved will be wasted, think about it.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:10 PM
im gonna have to jump on the bandwagon and vote for the BFG's also. i havent tried too many different brands, but out of all the ones i have tried, BFG's are my favorite by far

Old 09-23-2002, 03:18 PM
I too have to say BFG's. If you were going MT I would go procomp just cause they look good and the price is cheaper, but I hate the look of the procomp AT's. They don't look agressive enough to me.

Brad

Old 09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Brad. I think it is the way the white letters are styled on the Pro Comps that I don't like. But then again, I don't care for white letters anyway.

Old 09-25-2002, 09:44 PM
Cool

I am on a second set of pro-comps. they are quiet, ride nice,
look good and for me.........perform well off road. I have also had the BFG's. Basically my decision was based on size. The pro-comps come in 33 12.50 17 and the BFG's jump from 285 to to 35 unless you go with the mud terrains. I was considering the mud terrains but lets face it.... as much as I get off road the majority of my driving is on the street. I replaced the stock goodyears because they are very soft and I had chewed up the side walls off road. Bottom line is both these tires are very good products.
I wanted a tire comparable to the BFG with out having to lift the truck. As my previous posts ay the 33 12.50 17 will fit the stock 17" ORP wheel w/o problem. I removed the lower front valance trim strip and took a two inch triangle off the corner of the valance to make sure I won't have a problem off road. Good luck
but I think size will help you with the decision.

check photo in album under AZtruck

AZtruck

2001 supercrew
gibson
procomps
snugtop
gps
yada yada yada

Quick Reply: Help me decide, BFG AT or Pro Comp AT...