Wheel bearings and alignment ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel bearings and alignment ?

In November I will be taking my truck in for it's 30,000 mile maintenance. Most of the items I will have done, however I have a question about some of them that I was hoping to get input from some of you experts here.

First - Truck is a 2001 F150 4.2 5-speed
current miles on truck = 27200

Here are the items I have in question:

1. Wheel bearings - it is recommended that the wheel bearings, I believe be checked and re-packed at 30,000 miles. The cost is $84.95 so I am expecting that they will actually put new bearings in. I don't seem to have any problems with the bearings, no noticable noise etc.

Question - Is it necessary to have the bearings done at this time? If not then when? What simple checks should I do to insure they are really ok?

2. Front wheel alignment - The front tires look fine. I have them rotated every 5,000 miles. I see no problem with them. The truck does not pull, take hands off steering wheel truck goes stright. The cost is $44.95, and it states "add $79.95 per side for shim replacement"

Question - Is it necessary to have this done at this time? The cost don't seem to bad, but am afraid that I will get "It was pretty good but we needed to add a shim per each side ($204.85) total cost" Now that would be bad especially since I don't seem to have any problems.

The other question on that would be, why do they need shims anyway. To be more clear, is there not enough adjustment already designed into the truck to begin with, or was this a short-cut, cost cutting bs by Ford. Any other car I had even when it needed an alignment didn't need extra parts to correct the alignment. To be honest if I did have it done and was charged the full price of $204.85 for a brand new truck that shows no alignment problem then it would tell me Ford is only trying to soak me for more money and that the truck was NOT built Ford tough.

Thank you for your expert assistance
God I love this site...

I forgot to ask about the Fuel injection service, price $44.95.

I don't seem to have any problems I know of. I use fuel injector cleaner (valvoline) at each oil change but would any of you recommend it?

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 09-21-2002 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:23 PM
here money,there money....

okay...first; no you do not need to replace the wheel bearings...just have them repacked...second;if your driving alingnment is to your satisfaction...them why have it done?...remember"if it ain,t broke don,t fix it"...answer to shim question...when ford assembles the truck it is hooked to a machine which brings the front end into alignment and calls out on a screen a number for the part they install at the top of the a arms...if your alignment goes out of spec,they install what is called an eccentric cam bolt...basically it,s a bolt with a oval washer and a hole for the bolt which is off center and a hole for a 3/8th drive ...napa carrys them and pep boys does too(although at pep boys you have to ask the mechanic who does the alignments to give you a pair because they dont show on thier parts computer but will on thier register) now for the sticker shock 26.00 each..for a bolt and a washer!!!! jeez!!! what else should you do? have your fuel filter changed THEN run your injection cleaner through the tank. check your your rear axle fluid(the forgotton fluid). flush and bleed your brake system and have it checked...flush the power steering fluid(another forgotten fluid)...transmission fluid change with filter...am i forgetting any thing anybody?

Old 09-22-2002, 07:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought the hubs were sealed on these new trucks and did not require wheel bearings to be repacked?? Am I sadly mistaken?? I went 88,000 miles on my '97 and never did a dang thing to it. No problems neither. Had the front end aligned once when I bought new tires. We are talking about 4X4's right? Is there a difference?

Old 09-22-2002, 08:22 PM
IMO
Nothing replaces preventative maintenance. Do your bearing need to be repacked at this time, i'd say probably not, but it sure wouldn't hurt. Jack the front end off the ground and grab the tire and move back and forth quickly, if you hear/feel slack in the hub area they probably need repacked, take the tire off and do the same to the hub/rotor to verify. A 4x2 is easy to do and can be done for the price of a can of bearing grease and two new bearing seals, total about $15-$20.
As far as alignment goes, what does your tires tell you? Does it pull? Is one front tire wore differently than the other? If not don't waste your money, at least not until you buy new tires.
You probably will never have a problem with injectors by using the Valvoline cleaner. I suggest you put in the Valvoline/STP system cleaner about every 5-7K miles.

I don't know the interval of the 5-speed, but you may want to change the fluid in it.

Old 09-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Thank you all for the replies.

I am not going to do the alignment since there is no problem, no tire wear (except normal) no pulling to one side etc.

I do the injector cleaner at every oil change, approx 3,000 - 3,500 miles.

I am going to check the bearings as described and if needed do it myself.

In the maintenance schedule it calls for doing the 5-speed (fluid change) at 60,000 miles. However I am having it done anyway along with a coolant flush, fuel filter, air filter.

I'd do the fuel filter myself but when I looked at it I said no way this time. When I bought the truck I had them undercoat it, well they did a great job they undercoated just about everything they could including the fuel filter. I figure they are going to have a hard time and messy as well when they change it so I will glady pay the price this time. Next time I will do it myself.

I will be doing the rear-end myself as well. I printed a while back some instructions on how to do it from someone here at F150-online.

I will also be doing the brake fluid, steering fluid flush etc.

Again, thanks for all the excellent responses.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings and alignment ?