285/75/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
285/75/16

I have read numerous times that a 285/75/16 will fit a 97+ F150 4.4 bone stock in most instances. In fact this topic has been discussed many times on this forum. Here is the thing that I dont get. Eventhough it may fit in terms of filling the wheel wells, my 99 has 16x7 rims and every single tire manufacturers data I have looked at say that the 285/75/16 has a minimum wheel width of 7.5". I have discussed this with many a tire guy at the tire shops and all but one have said that they definitely do not recommend putting this on a 16x7 factory rim due to the fact that the tire will wear poorly and yeild poor ride quality. Whats up with this, or am I the minority with 16x7 factory rims? These are the polished aluminum slot looking rims with the chrome centercap with no ford logo. Thanks for any input.

CC

Old 09-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I bought my truck, the first thing I did was sell the stock tires back to the dealer and buy some 285 BFG's. I had them mounted on the stock 16x7's for a while. Then I mounted them on some 16x10 Eagle's. So I have had them on rims slightly smaller and slightly wider than recommended without any problems. I also know several people with 285's mounted on stock Z-71 16x6.5 inch rims without any problems. You shouldn't have any problems either. Some tire dealers are too uptight about covering themselves. Years ago I had a dealer refuse to sell me a set of HR rated radials for my Trans Am because it came with VR rated tires. I explained to him that I would not drive over 130 MPH but he kept pushing to sell me some VR or ZR rated tires. Guess what, I left and bought some HR rated radials from another dealer.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:33 AM
There are two questions here.

1 Will the tires fit on those rims and perform reasonably well.

I would say that they would.

2 Will it reduce the overall life of the tire or the performance of the tire.

I would again say that the answer is yes.

So the choice would be yours, are you willing to give up some tread life and maybe some handling ability. If you are then go for it.

As far as Vr versus Hr, speed ratings affect more then just top speed. The cars handling can be affected at almost any speed when you change speed ratings.

We have a standard rule, we will only recommended the tire that the car manufacture recommends (we have a book that shows optional plus sizes). The customer however can purchase what they want and we will put it on (within reason) and then we just mark on there receipt that the customer bought a tire that was not recommend.

Old 09-27-2002, 07:28 PM
I have to agree with wandell. I used to work for a local tire place and have installed thousands of tires and I can tell you tire makers are conservative.

I don't understand the comment of reduced wear or performance because one of the main factors of rim size has to do with the seat of the bead on the rim. Yes, if you hit a curb it may blow out a couple of miles an hour slower thatn on a 1/2 in bigger rim, but would that really matter?

Old 09-27-2002, 08:44 PM
OMG! You have to be kidding me. The experts say don't put the big tire on the small rim and you think their just being conservative. And besides that, the big tire does not look good on the smaller rim. If you put the tire on the narrow rim it will tend to wear in the middle. And before you start, go to BF Goodrich for your answer because you won't believe me anyway. You would rather listen to Billy Ray Bob and his brother Skeeter instead of the people that make the tires in the first place. Everyone is an Expert, but the Expert...yea right! If it sounds like I'm just a little tense on this one...well I am! There is nothing worse then bad information, from someone who does not really know. And in case your wondering, no I don't sell tires for a living. F150NKY is right on with his answer. You know you want to replace those nasty looking stock rims anyway.

Old 09-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Rims

Well thanks for the opinions, I am going to find a tire shop that will throw a set of 285s on and see how they fit. They are only a 1.2" larger in overall diameter than the next smaller 265 75, so if the 285s wont work out, then so be it. BTW ricky martin (I hope that isnt what that means) Fan, I happen to like the stock rims. Not to mention I do not have an extra 5-600 bucks over and above the tires to get new ones. Thanks for the tip though.
I am probably going with the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revos, seem to be a great tire for the money.
CC

Old 09-27-2002, 10:32 PM
OMG!!!!!

Go to BFG???? for what I know what they recommend and did not dispute that. Too big a tire for the rim MAKES IT LOOK BAD????? have you ever seen a 285 on a stock rim?????Do you think that 1/2 in on the rim makes the tire look that much better.

There are a ton of people on this board and others that run this combo with no problem.

Tend to wear in the middle?????? ok where did you get this information from???Oh let me guess your uncle Billy ray Bob..

Before you go on a rant.. remove your head from your *** and read..(or get mom to help with the big words) I DID NOT SAY IT WAS RECOMMENDED. I just said they are conservative, what do you think they would test a tire to the max rim size until they have problems and then recommend that size????

Anyway I have run this size on the stock rim on my 98 without any problems so make your own decision based on the tire recommendations or the fact that thousands are running this very combo....

Last edited by MAC[H]Z; 09-28-2002 at 08:19 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-28-2002, 05:02 PM
Well, the way I understand it, when you constrict a tire to a narrow rim the tire does not setttle and thus the contact patch is restricted and can cause the tire to bow just enough to cause wear in the middle of that contact patch. You can compensate for this to a degree by lowering air pressure, but thats not recomended ethier. When they call out a recomended rim width, they are doing so with this in mind. They are not being conservative for safety, as Billy Ray Bob figures, but rather in an effort to give the performance they have engineered into their product. The extra side wall does not lend it's self well to handling also. So even though alot of members on this page have had good luck with this combo, and I don't doubt they have. I can't figure why the same guys who spend $300.00 to get a FIPK so they can wonder..."do I feel more hp..err I think I do" and a $300.00 chip so they can pay .20 cents more for a gallon of gas, don't want to have the hook up in the corners, just so they can save some money. Now Billy Ray Bob, I need to put my head back up my _ss so I know what you feel like right now. Mom say's hi!

RockyMountainFordFan (LaVetaLoca!)

Last edited by RkyMtnFordFan; 09-28-2002 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 06:37 PM
Well I'm not going to argue the point any longer as it is pointless to try to help you understand that I realize it is not recommended but the 1/2 is not likely to cause any problems.

Anyway Billy your right anyone that spends $300 on a chip or fipk is a moron seeing they can be had for much less so you may want to check around.

But I'm willing to bet you will tell everyone that both those products should not be used also. Because they are not recommended by the manufacturer so it should not be used because it may make the truck explode or something brilliant like that.

Oh yeah ....thank you for trying to see how I feel by putting your head in your a$$ now you can imagine what it is like chatting with a a$$hole like you.....

Have a nice day.....

Old 09-28-2002, 08:03 PM
Unreal......lol x 10

Old 10-03-2002, 03:04 PM
265 75/R16

Well I got the 265s and I must say they look pretty good. I ended up going for some BigO Bigfoot ATs but went with the LT rated tires instead of the P rated. They drive great, and with upcoming rain I will be able to confirm that RT/S wranglers blow on wet pavement (what I replaced). The tires filled out the wells nicely, and added about 1/2" of height to the truck. thanks for the input.

CC

Old 10-08-2002, 02:11 AM
my .02

Well, I have 285/75/16's on stock 16x7" wheels. I have had no problems. The tires look stock, they don't bulge out at all. Personally, I love my stock wheels. As for the contact patch, when I drive through dust, it is distributed evenly across the tread. I know that is not scientific, but I know that at least there isn't a stripe down the middle of the tire. My truck handles good, and I have driven for several hours at 85+ mph, and had no blowouts or anything strange happen. Everyone here has valid points, so just do what you are comfortable with on your own truck. I personally wouldn't do something unless I have seen it tried by someone else, but that's why we have such a great resource in this F150 community.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:37 AM
as always, "just cuz ya can don't mean ya should".
Let's be civil, boys.....

Old 10-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have this tire size on stock (about 99% certain that they are stock) sized rims. I haven't seen any rubbing or unusual handling traits, other than the differences between them and my other vehicle (a 2001 jetta with 225/45zr17's). They did take a bit of getting used to, seeing as the tall sidewall feels very different from the short stiff one on my car.

I have only had my truck since the end of August, and I have to say that all of the information available on this site certainly made it easier to purchase one with confidence. Kudos to everyone that has taken the time to add their experiences and knowledge here.

Old 10-19-2002, 02:37 AM
Geez, didn't think anyone thought it was a big deal for a 285 on a 16x7 rim. Glad I got 16x8's so no one can hound me. IMO, yes it can cause some extra wear in the center but it's not a drasticly big deal. Some of the tire/wheel combos I've seen around here would kill some of you guys. I'm talking 35's on 7 inch wide rims or smaller rims and just the opposite little 31's-33's on 10 inch wide rims. I'm sure F150NKY knows what I'm talkin about, don't ya? Speaking of which.

F150NKY
Where do you work at? Maybe, I could use your help. I have tire/wheel combo issue going on right now. Seems that the AR Baja 16x8 rims that are made for my truck are of IMO now a poor design. They do not have enough clearence to be balance probably, as a result they can only be static balanced on the inside rim edge. Which according to the place of purcahse is against company policy and I should have been notified of this issue when they were bought. Going to try and work something out.

Case in point people... Aftermarket wheels like the AR BAJA I have may fit and be recommened but still have fitment issues. Be sure to study and avoid this problem. There's more to think about then just what size they are? This comes from learning the hard and $$$ way.

Quick Reply: 285/75/16