pedal play

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pedal play

I had a squeek that annoyed me so I asked someone about it who knows what they are doing. He thought it might be the brake pads vibrating when there wasn't pressure on them so I went out and bought some brake cleaner and the sticky "no squeek" stuff. Put the truck on the lift cleaned the pads, sprayed the other stuff and reinstalled under his supervision, so I'm pretty sure I didn't screw anything up. After I did that I have more play than usual in the pedal. I have to push it down a good bit before I start to slow down and it feels a little softer than before. The brakes have always sucked even from the day the truck was brand new, but now I'm kind of worried. Anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? I really don't want to put a lot of money into it because I'm trading it in soon anyway, but I'd also like to keep my bumper out of anyone's trunk.

Forgot to mention, it's a 97 F-150.

Old 10-03-2002, 06:45 PM
mines a 97 too.....

take it down and have the entire system flushed and bled...you will notice a big differance...at least for the time being

Old 10-03-2002, 07:53 PM
I did that about a month ago. I don't think that's what it is, it feels different. It's not spongy like their is air in the lines or the hoses are going, but too much travel in the pedal before the brakes kick in.

Old 10-03-2002, 09:36 PM
are you sure the rear drums...

are adjusted all the way out?

Old 10-07-2002, 01:10 AM
I just had the rears adjusted and I only messed with the fronts. I just don't understand why it would feel different now. Should the calipers be kinda tough to get back on? I had to push pretty hard to get the holes for the bolts lined up.

So, does anyone read this part of the forums?

Last edited by dkwthita; 10-07-2002 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:27 PM
I have the same problem on my 97 f150. The brakes just don't feel right. It seems to me that my rear brakes need to be adjusted every couple of weeks. I do that and the brakes feel good, but the sloppy pedal comes back.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:23 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
I just replaced the front rotors and pads with bendix oads and rotors, they are great now nice hard petal. For the backs i just backup quick and apply the brakes hard to adjust them as needed. They give you junk brakes when new.

Quick Reply: pedal play