Must Compliment Tire Company

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Must Compliment Tire Company

I must strongly support the efforts made by Discount Tire Company on my recent tire purchases.

My 2001 S'Crew (2wd) came from the factory with 255/70-16's (General's) and only were able to get about 30,000 miles on em.

I checked this forum to find out the largest size I could probably go with, sounded like 285/75-16's. Called Discount Tire Co and their computer showed the same info.

Until this point, I have always thought that "bigger must be better!" They ordered the tires, installed em...and MAN...were they HUGE! They filled out the wheel wells alright. No rubbing, but they looked enormous. Almost in an odd way. I got several opinions from friends and co-workers, nearly all of which thought I should go a hair smaller.

I called Discount Tire Co the day after the install and the Mgr said for me to come on down, that they'd swap em out for no extra charge for the labor involved/balancing, etc. I would of course have to pay the difference, if any (and there was a small difference for the smaller tires...got a really good deal on the 285's initially).

For all I know, this may be standard policy in the tire industry, however, to me, this was a fantastic demonstration of high quality customer service.

I can quite easily say that my tire business will continue to go to Discount Tire Co for as long as I can help it.

As far as the tires. Awesome. The larger tires (285's) dropped the truck's acceleration abilities a noticeable amount. Too noticeable. The 265's are about as good a match for my truck as I think I could find (really, if I could have found some 270 or 275/75-16's it'd be about a perfect fit). They're aggressive enough for me and large enough. They make the truck look the way I think it should. Unfortunately, I didnt have a camera available to take the pics of the truck with the 285's, but will snap some of the 265's on the truck soon and post them if anyone is interested.

Steve

Old 10-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wider is better-

I had a 1999 Supercab that came with those "girly-man" 255's on it. I jumped up to 295/60/16's. Filled up the wheelwell, no rubbing, no sticking outside the fender wells- Life was good.

It didn't feel any slower to me.

Now I have an Expy and a SuperCrew, both have 275/55/20's on them. Still, no rubbing- believe it or not, both trucks seem to ride smoother, less bouncy. (2001 S'Crew was already a smooth riding truck- light years past my 1999, and even better than my 2000 Expy.)

You can go as wide as 305's without sticking out the wheel wells, and with no rubbing. I have a friend with them on his Navigator.

My next set of tires, Nitto 305/50/20's......

Quick Reply: Must Compliment Tire Company