Carbon-metallic pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon-metallic pads

Did the brakes on the F150 couple weeks ago. I went to Autozone and got carbon-metallic pads (I believe Aimco) and new rotors. Within the last couple of days the fronts are starting to squeek when applying the brake, and with more brake they are grinding.

I havent had time to check it out yet but it sounds like the pads are chewing the crap out of the rotors. Anyone got some ideas? Should I ditch the pads?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the carbon metalic from Autozone and no noise at all. They stop much better than the original equipment.

Did you coat the back of the pads with the disc break grease to keep them quiet before installing them?

I used the blue stuff in a spray can and it worked great.

Old 10-21-2002, 02:45 PM
No. I didnt use any of that anti-squeek stuff. That wouldnt stop the grinding that Im hearing, would it? More often than not I dont use the goo.

Old 10-21-2002, 06:17 PM
I bought a set of pads form Autozone (I don't remember the make), and in less that a year of use, I had one of the pads fail. The only thing left was the backer plate. It made a wicked grinding noise. I only had like 20 miles on the failed pad and it tore the rotor up enough to warrant replacement.

Old 10-30-2002, 12:23 AM
I recently replaced my Carbon Metallic pads from Performance Friction. I bought them at Auto Zone but they came with a lifetime warranty. I took the worn pads back and they gave me a new set. I installed them and new Powerslot rotors. I have never had a noise problem with either the old or new rotors. I did have a grinding sound from the driver's side before we installed the pads and rotors but this was due to the driver's side caliper not releasing and holding the back pad against the caliper. It did not ruin the rotor but since the new rotors and pads are installed and caliper lubed not more sound of any kind. The new Powerslot rotors have improved the stock braking.

Old 10-30-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the replys. I was able to get pads swapped for a new set. This time I installed them with the anti-moan lube. Torqued the nots to 100 ft/lbs. This set is doing the same thing, a little sweak with light braking and grinding as you put more pedal into it.

Hmmm. Might not be the brakes. Maybe the hubs? Would seem to likely because theres no sqweek without brakes?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 PM
My carbon metallic pads that I bought from autozone squeel a little when I use light breaking, but if I break hard there is no noise. There is no grinding noise with mine.

Quick Reply: Carbon-metallic pads