Spare tire cable stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire cable stuck?

I had my spare tire off from under the truck. I wound the cable back up. Now it won't come down all the way or go up all the way. Is it easy to take the cranking mechanism apart?? What else can I do?
Thanks,
Craig

Old 11-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Angry Stuck Cable

I'm having same problem with my WINCH. I had 2 flats in 1 day. Right side, front and rear. Tires went flat at a different rate due to difference in puncture. Fixed 1 in morning, 1 at night. The cable is now jammed in the up position. I cannot lower it.
I just removed the WINCH. It only has 2 bolts holding it. However, the housing seems to be riveted. I can see the frayed cable inside, I cannot get to it.
The new winch is $83.69 at Ford dealer. I will go to a wrecking yard this weekend to find a good used one.
Anybody have a better idea?

Old 11-18-2004, 10:00 PM
I had that problem with my 2000 F150 and it was the cable got wound up the wrong way and chewed it all up your best bet is to take the old one off and buy a new one there easy to take off. I just left it off and put my spare standing up agnaist the back of the box with a tow strap so i can still haul my quad. You think they would engineer a better holder oh well.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:52 PM
just pull like hell on it and crank it out and keep pressure on it when you raise and lower it.the new one will just do the same thing.when you let pressure off the cable and crank on it it gets wound up wrong and gets stuck

Old 04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
just pull like hell on it and crank it out and keep pressure on it when you raise and lower it.the new one will just do the same thing.when you let pressure off the cable and crank on it it gets wound up wrong and gets stuck

Dude,
thanks a million.you just saved me $85.00

Old 04-03-2005, 04:12 AM
Same thing happened to me. My husband finally managed to free the tire and we replaced the entire lift assembly. Good news is our warranty paid for $76.08 of the $87.87 cost! Only problem is I'm sure it'll happen again because the whole assembly is rather shoddy construction if you ask me. We opened up the old one and discovered the reason it got stuck. The cable is wound around a nylon spool with grooves in it, presumably to make the cable wind smoothly. Well, the grooves were all chewed up and the cable had frayed really bad. The lift had only been used about 4 times since I got the truck. Ford needs a better game plan with that one.

Old 04-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I only had to use mine once so far in the 5 and a half years I had the truck and that was back in the fall of 2000 mine might be rusted into place I'll have to check it out soon as my tires are getting near the end of there tread life. I don't want to have to deal with a jamed up winch if I need to use it before I get a new set of tires within the next couple of months.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:13 PM
I just changed mine out with the "new and improved "version of the winch. It cost $85.00 and it does looks better built but made in Mexico. Two bolts holding it to the frame. I did this as I was installing my new Rancho RSX shocks.Total install for everything was one hour thirty minutes.

Reloader55

Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 PM
same thing happen to my 2000 f150, had a flat..use the spare..and I tried winding the winch back up and it wouldnt go back up...The cable was all frayed up and look like a hair ball. I I just left it dragin on the road and put my flat in the bed for now. I'll get it replace someday when I have $

Quick Reply: Spare tire cable stuck?