Rear brake adjusters on disks???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-1999, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear brake adjusters on disks???

Noticed my brake pedal getting a little lower now that I have about 8k miles on my truck.
Thought mabe the rear brakes were getting a little loose. Didn't know how rear get adjusted, or even if they need it (on fronts, the pads ride very close to the rotors and need no adjusters, but the backs have a little extra "engineering" for the Em. brake.)
Tried the ol' back up and hit the brakes repeatedly trick, didn't work. Must be "between clicks".
Here's the thing, though.
I decided to take a look for any manual adjusters and lo and behold, there was a manual adjuster nut right where it should be on rear drum brakes!!
I decided to give it a little spin (about 30 to be more precise). It seems to do nothing. It also seems to be in an impossible spot to do anything useful. I haven't pulled the wheel and rotor to check it out.
Anyone know anything about it??
Is it some leftover vestage from drum brakes?
Does it actually do anything?
Is Elvis still alive??

Thanks....

------------------
'99 f-150, XLT, ORP, Super Cab, Dk. Red, 5.4,
ALL the goodies, Century Royal Cab High Cap,
Factory mud flaps, Cobra Ultra 19 CB,
Rear bumper mount 4' red Firestik antenna

Old 07-21-1999, 06:55 AM
You've got me confused. Do you have rear discs or drums?
If you have disc brakes, there is no adjustment and the emergency/parking brake as no effect on pedal travel. The emergency/parking brake uses regular drum type shoes working in a small drum inside the rotor and is independant of the service brakes.
If you have drums the adjustment is made through a small slot on the backing plate and in this case the emergency/parking brake adjustment will have an effect on pedal travel.
How much play is in the pedal before the brakes work? It's normal to have about 1 to 2 inches of travel. If it's more than that I'd have them checked ASAP.

Old 07-21-1999, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, IGGY.
Didn't mean to be vague.
I have disk brakes in the rear.
You have got to be kidding about the emergency brakes using a seperate drum behind the rotor, right??
The only experience I have had with rear disks has been in cars.
These systems use a screw rod attached to the backside of the piston inside of the cylinder. The Em. brake actuator rides on this screw and is self adjusting.
Note, when replacing rear disks in an auto, DO NOT squeeze the piston back in with a C-clamp, this will only add an expensive trip back to the parts store! One must literaly screw the piston back into the cylinder.
I just figured that all rear disk systems work about the same..
That adjuster nut that I found makes a little more sense now.
Seems funny that Ford would use what has to be a more expensive, complicated and completely different system.
As for the brake travel, I'd say it is probably still in spec., but definitly not as high and hard as when it was new. I am not a fan of dead brake pedal travel, or mushy brakes!!
Mabe a little air in the line, I have to take it in for a little work anyway, mabe they'll bleed them for me...
Any extra input welcome and appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 07-28-1999, 12:18 AM
Ford isn't the only manufacturer to us this system. Pick up a copy of a Chiltons and look up the rear brake system on almost any year Corvette and you'll find it to be the same.

------------------
'97 F-250 L/D Lariat S/C, 4x4, 5.4, E4OD automatic, 3.73 gears, 4 wh. ABS and 4 wh. disk brakes, gray leather interior,keyless entry w/alarm, outside: white w/gray rocker section, sliding rear window, tow package. Mods- Ford running boards, Ford ventsahdes, Color-matched bug deflector, AVS tail light covers, Tuff Liner bed liner, unknown brand of cat-back exhaust system (previous owner installed).

Quick Reply: Rear brake adjusters on disks???