Brake Fade

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-1999, 03:42 AM
RBF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Brake Fade

I replaced my pads on my '98 at a tad over 20,000 miles. I replaced them with Raybestos Elite. I have noticed that after a few hard stops my brakes fade and don't work worth crap. It seems that it never did this with the stock brake pads , but has happened twice since installing the new pads. After the hard stops you can smell the brakes a lot. What is going on? Did I get conned into buying crappy pads which I was told were the premium pads when I went to purchase them at pepboys? Any help would be appreciated.- Thanks- RBF

Old 07-30-1999, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you have the rotors turned?

------------------
'99 XLT S/C 4.6 Auto 3.55 LS Oxford White,Orlando appearance package, trailer tow package, keyless entry, A.R.E. Hard tonneau, ventvisors and bug guard all painted to match, limo tint, 5 spoke aluminum wheels, Kenwood 6 Disc, black Back Country nerfs, Buccaneers front license plate! I Luv it!

Old 07-31-1999, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RBF,
Raybestos is company that makes good quality parts. Part of doing a proper brake job is to "bed" the brakes. You do this by making a couple of 80-0 stops back to back. Or, it can be done by riding on the brakes as you drive down the road for a short distance then driving 5-10 miles without using the brakes to allow them to cool. The fade you are experiencing can be caused by the new pads outgasing glue vapors or residule gasses from the manufacturing process. The gas forms a cusion between the rotor and the pad that greatly lowers the friction between the two lowering the amount of brake force availiable.

Quick Reply: Brake Fade