Warped rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Warped rotors

Nope I don't have warped rotors, yet. But I was talking to a friend of mine a work about them. He is a club racer, road course stuff, he said if your rotors warp instead of replacing them or turning them right away you should heat cycle them three times. He stated around 1000 deg F three times and that would temper them enough then have them turned and you will not have problems with them again. In order to get that kind of temperature you may have to ride your brakes, probably have to replace pads too. What are your opinions on this? Sounded good to me.

------------------
1999 F150 Lariat
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield, VentVisors, Class III hitch, Ford molded mud guards, soft tonneau, factory CD with changer (thanks Dusty), tinted windows

Menasha, WI

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ton54home.html

Old 09-16-1999, 10:35 PM
Sounds right up there with sky hooks and the like.
the rotors are cast iron.
First molten iron is pored into a mold made of casting sand. when its cooled enought to be solid the mold is broken and the sand is reused. the iron casting is then left outdoors to weather for approx two months. This is meant to "relax" the iron. Next the iron is machined to produce the rotor. Bearings are installed and its on to the truck. The rotors normaly need turning because the pads wear down to the rivets or backing plate and this rips into the surface.
Uneven heating warps the rotor, this heat can also release stresses still held within the rotor. These stresses warp the rotor when released. heavy braking to get the discs hot will do nothing. However if you place the rotor in an oven and heat to 1000f
you might "relax" the rotor enought not to warp again. but it would need turning to make useable and ford rotors can be turned one time.

------------------
97, 4.6, 3.55LS, Dk red 265/75/16, Leer cap, Rhino bed, rose wood dash, CD player,

[This message has been edited by uknigel (edited 09-16-1999).]

Old 09-17-1999, 04:23 PM
Smile

I have never heard of the 1000 deg thing.
What I have found works the best is to burnish the pads and rotors after they are replaced or turned. You want to put heat in the pads and rotors slow. The best way is after the new parts are installed do 10 brake stops. 45mph to 0mph letting all the parts cool for 10 min. between stops. This will help reduce fade and help the pads live longer. It may seem like it takes forever to do but give it a try.

------------------
97 f-150 XLT sc,5.4L silver,flare side.Bone stock for now.

Quick Reply: Warped rotors